A friend of my mother had drawn a sweet design, nabbed this quote and embroidered it for her. My sister could recall the wall hanging, but no one knows what happened to it. She decided she really wanted it, so I set about creating one for her.
The original had a little boy and tea cups, but I couldn’t find a ‘ready to purchase” design of a boy that fit my concept and I did really like these stacked tea cups from Embroidery Library. I tried it with a few different fonts (loading up Embrilliance’s font program as my TruEmbroidery digitizing program is not good with purchased fonts and doesn’t have all that many to choose from). Once I had the quote, I gave it a very slight slant and saved it; then edited with TruE to place tea cups, move the paragraph lines, nudge things. Also made and added the apostrophe there. The font is Jolson’s Hand Print Floss Stitch. Below is one of many samples that were part of the design creation process (also a Jolson’s floss font – I was really going for hand look embroidery).
I’d Google searched the tea quote and found references to a quilt that it was stitched into in the 1840’s (Wisconsin statehood was 1848, and this was brought into the new state with settlers). Found another where a son had quotes his mom had written in a notebook – he thought they were hers – many ladies in the 40’s kept collections of Valentine quotes or things to do needlework in – theirs was after the quilt by a hundred years and now two websites are crediting that mom with this little poem (yes, I am a nerd and love tracking down data). It shows up in a few places as being one of those short quotes you see on Valentine’s cards. Bottom line, it’s been around a very, very long time.
Also had my nerd hat on for mounting – had looked up all variations and will save you some of that detail, went with an archival self-adhesive foam core board for ease, they make them for needlework and you can usually find them in the major craft stores with the needlework supplies. I used something called Needleart Nucor foam mounting board from JoAnn. The frame was just barely deep enough for the embroidery plus foam core – no room for a glass pane. Something to be aware of when shopping for frames. I hope to get the supplies to do what has been around for awhile in needlework – short steel pins (short common pins) that you use to stick into the edge of foam core and all the way around to attach without that self adhesive bit – this way, if your piece is washable – you can take it off the mounting and wash it down the road. But, truth be told, the self adhesive I used was certainly easier. 🙂 The stabilizer was a cut away and I did not trim it down, but left it the size of the framed picture.
Editing this as I got a question on Facebook. There’s a Facebook group Embrilliance if you have questions on how to use it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/582705468485594/?fref=nf. If you buy the Jolson’s font and download the BX format, it comes with a PDF telling you how to download Embrilliance and use the software. The free version will let you load a purchased digitized font and then use your keyboard to type. It sometimes interferes with TruEmbroidery. Best to put Embrilliance on a USB and just plug it in when you’re using it. TruEmbroidery also has a Facebook group – http://www.facebook.com/trueusers/ and a Google+ group – https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/102963886496719470234 . If you have trouble getting in to Google+ (you need a free Google+ id), let me know as I started and run the TruEmbroidery Users group.
I am so pleased with this one, been wanting to make some time to stitch one up for myself 🙂 .